Skip to Content

La Paz Revealed As The Number One City In Mexico For Airbnb Rentals

Share The Article

Last Updated

Vacation rentals are a very popular option for travelers to beach resort destinations in Mexico such as Cancun and Los Cabos.

There are likely to be few available in those two destinations over the upcoming couple of weeks as the peak spring holiday travel season quickly approaches at the end of this month.

But which town in Mexico is the number one destination for vacation rentals on non-holiday dates? The answer may just surprise you.

The Non-Holiday Airbnb Capital of Mexico

Mexico Baja California Sur La Paz Gazebo on Oceanfront Walk

Information provided by the State Tourism Secretariat (SETUE) in Mexico, based on 2023 data from the popular global vacation rental provider Airbnb, La Paz is the number one destination in Mexico for vacation rentals on non-holiday dates.

That’s right. The capital of Baja California Sur is also the capital of year-round Airbnb vacation rentals in Mexico.


According to the data from the State Tourism Secretariat, La Paz has a pretty good mix of domestic and international travelers who prefer vacation rental options such as Airbnb as an alternative to traditional hotels in the town.

La Paz sign

A Good Mix of Airbnb Travelers

More than half, 60 percent, of travelers from La Paz are mainly domestic, followed by visitors from the United States, Canada, France, and Germany.

A majority of Airbnb travelers are visiting on vacation (80 percent), while the remaining visitors (20 percent) are staying in vacation rental properties for business or visiting friends and family, often on extended stays.

Interestingly enough, the average Airbnb traveler in La Paz is in their 30s and spends nearly $3,300 on a vacation getaway to the area.

Aerial view of La Paz

Around 13 percent of the Airbnb stays in La Paz include travelers with children.

Not surprisingly, the last five days of the year are the most popular for Airbnb reservations in La Paz.

Benefits for Airbnb Guests

Many travelers select Airbnb properties because they feel more like home and often because they are more flexible with lifestyles as opposed to more formal hotel accommodations.

Kitchen in an airbnb property

For example, Airbnb properties allow guests to shop for groceries, store them in a refrigerator and cook their own meals in an actual kitchen.

Travelers like having access to these amenities, along with washing machines, dryers, and even garages and covered parking spaces.

Tourists also cite the flexibility of Airbnb properties. Visitors with pets can often find a more accommodating property than traditional hotels in the area.

They also appreciate that there are no additional charges for larger families traveling together to all stay in one property with multiple bedrooms and bathrooms available.

Airbnb vacation rental

People are even becoming repeat guests with their vacation rental property owners, where loyalty is being rewarded.

What Travelers Need to Know

For many visitors to Los Cabos and La Paz, a vacation rental property through Airbnb may be a good option for those looking for potentially more affordable accommodations with added flexibility and more amenities that feel like home.

The tradeoff is many of the vacation rental properties provide little or no features many travelers like in a hotel property, such as clean up of the room, daily making of beds, and changing of linens.

Hotel housekeeper

Many may also lack convenient vacation amenities such as on-site dining and bars, as well as pools and gym facilities.

However, the profile shared by the State Tourism Secretariat (SETUE) shows that many visitors to La Paz are actually seeking longer-term extended-stay vacation accommodations, which can be very affordable and convenient with a negotiated vacation rental property.

Because of this, La Paz appears to be a leading vacation rental property vacation travel destination in Mexico for many more months to come.

Plan Your Next Cabo Vacation:

Traveler Alert: Don’t Forget Travel Insurance For Your Next Trip!

Choose From Thousands of Cabo Hotels, Resorts and Hostels with Free Cancellation On Most Properties

Join The Community ↓

 The Cabo Sun Community FB group has all the latest travel news, conversations and current events happening in Los Cabos

Faceook Group The Cabo Sun

Subscribe to our Latest Posts

Enter your email address to subscribe to The Cancun Sun’s latest breaking news affecting travelers, straight to your inbox.